Saturday 30 March 2019

DJ afifa remembers the SO((U))Lherverse project



Sounds of Life: What is SO((U))Lherverse?

DJ afifa: SO((U))Lherverse is a series of "mixtapes" or compilations to mark International Women's Day.  In 2012 Amina Doherty approached me with the idea for the collaboration.


Sounds of Life: How did you approach the compilations?

DJ afifa: Amina had the overall idea. We talked about what she wanted each compilation to sound like and then my role was to create something around that. The core was always selecting a diverse range of female voices. That was the first challenge organizing the selection. I knew i wanted to do something different with the 3rd compilation. I was able to include a conversation with the selections. I experimented with live recording of a conversation at the SO((U))L HQ. I also thought it would be cool to include selections by another dj, Ear Audigy who i was working closely with at the time at Zanj Radio. The selections came from all three of us Ear Audigy, Amina and myself. I just wanted it to be interesting to listen to.

Sounds of Life: What do remember most about the project?

DJ afifa: It was something i looked forward to doing. i remember the last one the most. Recording the live conversation at the HQ. It was a cool reasoning that night i am glad we could have done it that way.



No comments:

Post a Comment